Jobs at NHLA
New Hampshire Legal Assistance is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse staff. Bicultural/Bilingual, Minority, LGBTQ, individuals with disabilities, women and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Currently there are no employment openings.
For information about how to volunteer at NHLA, please click here.
NHLA Legal Internship Program:
Applicants are encouraged to apply early for summer internships.
NHLA legal interns assist attorneys and paralegals with every level of case preparation including interviewing clients, investigating cases, taking depositions, conducting legal research and drafting pleadings. Interns are encouraged to participate in administrative hearings and second year students who meet NH student practice qualifications may represent clients in District Court proceedings.
Because NHLA hires only a small number of interns each year, interns have the opportunity to work on a wide array of cases. NHLA’s legislative efforts afford interested interns the opportunity to conduct legislative tracking and analysis on key poverty issues before the state legislature.
Internships are unpaid, but many interns have successfully obtained funding from other sources.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, but students are strongly encouraged to apply early each academic year for summer positions. Students are encouraged to apply for academic year internships as well.
- To apply for a legal internship at NHLA, please submit a cover letter and resume to: New Hampshire Legal Assistance
117 North State Street
Concord, NH 03301
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any additional questions.
Internship positions are available in Berlin, Claremont, Concord, Manchester, and Portsmouth. Please indicate any geographic preferences in the cover letter.
About our locations:
- Berlin: Berlin is a historic mill town in the heart of New Hampshire's Great North Woods, adjacent to the White Mountain National Forest.
- Claremont: Claremont is located in a largely rural area on the Connecticut River that includes aging mill towns, the beautiful Monadnock region and the thriving Dartmouth/Hanover area.
- Concord: New Hampshire's capital city is located in the geographic center of the state within easy driving range of the mountains and the seacoast.
- Manchester: With its restored mills housing, a growing tech sector, and multicultural population, New Hampshire's largest city is frequently voted one of the top 10 places to live in America.
- Portsmouth: Portsmouth is the largest city on New Hampshire's seacoast, with easy access to metropolitan Boston and Maine.
About New Hampshire Legal Assistance: NHLA is a private non-profit law firm with five offices which provide legal services statewide. Recognized nationally for our achievements, NHLA has a proud history of aggressive, creative advocacy for low income and elderly clients in federal and state courts, as well as legislative and administrative forums. Because NHLA does not receive federal Legal Services Corporation (LSC) funding, we are not subject to LSC's restrictions on lobbying, class action litigation or welfare reform work. NHLA's resources are primarily focused on housing, health and income benefits, elder law, domestic violence, and public utilities. Our employee benefits include medical and dental insurance, a retirement fund, and law school loan assistance.