NHLA seeks advocate for senior law policy workPosted Nov 05, 2019
October 31, 2019
Job Announcement: PART-TIME POLICY ADVOCATE
New Hampshire Legal Assistance (NHLA) seeks a Policy Advocate to join our statewide policy advocacy team. The Policy Advocate will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the NH Alliance for Healthy Aging (NH AHA) Advocacy Work Group. The Policy Advocate works under the direction of NHLA’s Senior Law Project Director and Policy Director in NHLA’s Concord, NH office and collaborates extensively with partner organizations to advance AHA’s advocacy goals. This is a part-time position.
NHLA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a diverse staff that reflects the low-income and older people NHLA works alongside, and we value equity and inclusion in our workplace. We are actively seeking applications from people of color, the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities, older adults, veterans, people who have lived experience with poverty, and other people belonging to communities that experience injustice.
1) Research policy and advocacy strategies
2) Develop policy analyses and support materials such as talking points, testimony, fact sheets, and infographics
3) Create original content and identify external content to advance policy priorities through traditional media and social media
4) Monitor progress of policy agenda
5) Engage with stakeholders and policymakers on policy goals
1) Convene monthly AHA Advocacy Work Group meetings
2) Collaborate with stakeholders to support the work of the State Commission on Aging
3) Develop a working knowledge of community needs and resources
4) Oversee grassroots engagement and communication activities performed by partner agency
5) Partner with other AHA Advocacy Work Group members on all efforts including training, communications, and meetings with stakeholders and policymakers
➢ Bachelor’s degree, or at least 3+ years prior relevant experience
➢ Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
➢ Ability to speak Spanish or other second language a plus
➢ Demonstrated commitment to serving vulnerable populations; knowledge of NH social services network
➢ Commitment to and interest in expanding knowledge about the importance of equal justice and access to human/social services
Salary/Benefits: This part-time (approximately 20-25 hours per week) position pays an hourly range of $21.90 to $36.53, based on experience. NHLA offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement and life and disability insurance and generous paid time off. NHLA's benefits are available to part-time employees on a pro-rated basis.
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. You are welcome to include your preferred pronouns, the correct pronunciation of your name and any other information that will help us communicate effectively with you.
About NH Legal Assistance and NH Alliance for Healthy Aging:
NHLA is a statewide civil legal aid organization that helps low-income families and individuals prevent homelessness, protect their personal safety, and preserve their basic income. NH AHA is a statewide coalition of cross-sector stakeholders focused on the health and well-being of older adults in New Hampshire. NHLA’s AHA work is generously funded by the Endowment for Health, the Charitable Foundation, and Tufts Health Plan Foundation.