Jobs at NHLA
For information about how to volunteer at NHLA, please click here.
OPEN STAFF POSITIONS:
Paralegal, part-time: NHLA has received funding from the Mary Gale Foundation to fully support a part time paralegal position to work with older adult women in the Manchester area. The position is a part time, 20 hours per week. The person hired will work out of the NHLA Manchester office and will be responsible for gathering information to assist NHLA in our legal representation of low-income elderly women in the greater Manchester area. The paralegal will also screen low-income elderly women in the greater Manchester area for public benefits for which they are eligible and help them access these benefits. These efforts will help low-income elderly women to remain independent and safe in their homes. The paralegal will work under the direction of NHLA’s Litigation Director and its Senior Law Project Director. Click here for more information and instructions on how to apply.
NHLA Legal Internship Program:
We are currently full for summer 2018.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early for summer internships.
NHLA legal interns assist attorneys and paralegals with every level of case preparation including interviewing clients, investigating cases, taking depositions, conducting legal research and drafting pleadings. Interns are encouraged to participate in administrative hearings and second year students who meet NH student practice qualifications may represent clients in District Court proceedings.
Because NHLA hires only a small number of interns each year, interns have the opportunity to work on a wide array of cases. NHLA’s legislative efforts afford interested interns the opportunity to conduct legislative tracking and analysis on key poverty issues before the state legislature.
Internships are unpaid, but many interns have successfully obtained funding from other sources.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, but students are strongly encouraged to apply early each academic year for summer positions. Students are encouraged to apply for academic year internships as well.
- To apply for a legal internship at NHLA, please submit a cover letter and resume to: New Hampshire Legal Assistance
154 High Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801
Contact email@example.com if you have any additional questions.
Internship positions are available in Claremont, Concord, Berlin, Manchester, and Portsmouth. Please indicate any geographic preferences in the cover letter.
About our locations:
- Berlin: Berlin is a historic mill town in the heart of New Hampshire's Great North Woods, adjacent to the White Mountain National Forest.
- Claremont: The Claremont office is located in a largely rural area on the Connecticut River that includes aging mill towns, the beautiful Monadnock region and the thriving Dartmouth/Hanover area.
- Concord: New Hampshire's capital city is located in the geographic center of the state within easy driving range of the mountains and the seacoast.
- Manchester: With its restored mills housing a growing tech sector and its multicultural population, New Hampshire's largest city is frequently voted one of the top ten places to live in America.
- Portsmouth: First settled by Europeans in 1630, Portsmouth is full of colonial charm with easy access to metropolitan Boston and the beautiful Maine seacoast.
- Administration: Located in Concord.
About New Hampshire Legal Assistance: NHLA is a private non-profit law firm with five offices which provide legal services statewide. Recognized nationally for our achievements, NHLA has a proud history of aggressive, creative advocacy for low income and elderly clients in federal and state courts, as well as legislative and administrative forums. Because NHLA does not receive federal Legal Services Corporation (LSC) funding, we are not subject to LSC's restrictions on lobbying, class action litigation or welfare reform work. NHLA's resources are primarily focused on housing, health and income benefits, elder law, domestic violence, and public utilities. Our employee benefits include medical and dental insurance, a retirement fund, and law school loan assistance.